more than 20 years, John K. Phoebus has zealously fought for his clients in the circuit courts
and district courts of Somerset County, Wicomico County, and Worcester
County. Attorney Phoebus has been in private practice and focused solely
on litigation for his entire career, seeking to provide his clients with
the highest level of representation. He has a long track record of success
and a reputation for winning throughout the Eastern Shore.
Excellent rated lawyer on Avvo
2014 Pro Bono Award from the Maryland State Bar Association
2007 Volunteer of the Year Award from Crisfield Area Chamber of Commerce
- Over two decades of legal experience
Giving back to our community is important to Attorney Phoebus. As an attorney,
he co-chaired the Somerset County Pro Bono Committee for five years. From
2015 to 2018, Attorney Phoebus was appointed by Maryland Governor Larry
Hogan to chair the Trial Courts Judicial Nominating Commission for Commission
District 1 (Somerset, Wicomico & Worcester Counties). As chair, his
role was to nominate candidates to Governor Hogan to fill vacancies that
occurred in the Circuit Court and District Court of Maryland for these
three counties. During his chairmanship, four circuit court judges were
nominated and appointed by Governor Hogan to the Circuit Courts for Wicomico,
Somerset and Worcester Counties.
Outside of the practice of law, he has been a part of the following organizations:
- Past President of the Crisfield Area Chamber of Commerce
- Former Chair of the Wor-Wic Community College Foundation
- Member of the Board of Directors of McCready Foundation, which runs our
- Past member of the Somerset County Economic Development Commission
In 2003, he was honored to be appointed by Governor Robert L. Ehrlich,
Jr. to serve on the Governor's Commission on the Structure and Efficiency
of State Government. From 2012 to 2013, he chaired the Somerset County
Long Term Recovery Committee, Inc., which helped residents and businesses
of Somerset County recovery from Hurricane Sandy.
2014 Pro Bono Award
Attorney Phoebus was the recipient of the 2014 Pro Bono Award, presented
by the Maryland State Bar Association in recognition of his efforts in
forming and chairing the Somerset County Long Term Recovery Committee
which organized the nonprofit recovery efforts following Hurricane Sandy.
Call (410) 657-5775 to find out more about how Attorney John K. Phoebus can be of assistance to you.
- 2014 to Present. Anthenelli, Phoebus & Hickman, LLC, Crisfield and
- 2001 to 2014. John K. Phoebus, P.A., Crisfield, Maryland.
- 1997 to 2001. Anthenelli & Otway, Salisbury, Maryland.
- Pennsylvania State University, Dickinson School of Law, J.D., 1997.
- Washington College, B.A. in Political Science, 1994.
- Maryland State Bar Association (Specialization Committee, 2014 to Present)
- Maryland Criminal Defense Attorneys Association
- National Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys
- Wicomico County Bar Association
- Somerset County Bar Association
- Court of Appeals of Maryland, 1997.
- U.S. District Court, District of Maryland, 1998.
Civic and Community Memberships
- Board Member, McCready Foundation, Inc. 2011 to Present.
- Chair, Somerset County Long Term Recovery Committee, 2012 to 2013.
- President, Crisfield Area Chamber of Commerce, 2010 to 2011.
- Chair, Wor-Wic Community College Foundation, 2004 to 2010.
- Co-Chair, Somerset County Pro Bono Committee, 2003 to 2010.
- Board Member, Coastal Hospice
- Board Member, Hudson Health Services