In Memoriam: Attorney James V. Anthenelli
James V. Anthenelli, one of the founders of Anthenelli, Phoebus & Hickman,
LLC, died on May 26, 2015. He leaves a legacy of a career in litigation,
focusing on criminal defense, that spanned 38 years and a dedication to
serving his community, both professionally and through his work on local
began his career more than 35 years ago as a prosecutor in Salisbury, Maryland and has maintained an office in Salisbury since
1977. After entering private practice, Attorney Anthenelli continued to
handle all types of
criminal cases and further enhanced his litigation and trial skills by representing clients
in personal injury, commercial and business litigation.
Attorney Anthenelli quickly gained a reputation as being
one of the area's most accomplished litigators recognized for his passion in representing clients and his courtroom skills.
For the remainder of his career, Attorney Anthenelli specialized exclusively
in the defense of criminal and serious motor vehicle cases.
Attorney Anthenelli consistently received the top
AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell®
He was recognized in the list of
Super Lawyers® from 2008-2015
- Nearly 40 years of legal experience
- Repeatedly Voted Best Lawyer in Salisbury, Maryland by the readers of Metropolitan Magazine
In addition to participating as a member of various local, state and national
bar associations, Attorney Anthenelli served in various capacities in
the legal community. He participated as a member of the Attorney Grievance
Commission of Maryland for over 21 years and held three gubernatorial
appointments. In addition to having served as Fellow of the Maryland Bar
Foundation, He served as a Commissioner on the Maryland Commission on
Criminal Sentencing Policy. Attorney Anthenelli acted as the Chair of
the Trial Courts Judicial Nominating Commission for Commission District
One under two Governors.
- 2014 to 2015. Anthenelli, Phoebus & Hickman, LLC, Salisbury, Maryland.
- 2002 to 2013. The Law Office of James V. Anthenelli, Salisbury, Maryland.
- 1986 to 2002. Anthenelli & Otway, Salisbury, Maryland.
- 1980 to 1986. Robins, Johnson & Anthenelli, Salisbury, Maryland.
- 1978 to 1980. Hearne & Bailey, Salisbury, Maryland.
- 1977 to 1978. Assistant State's Attorney for Wicomico County, Salisbury, Maryland.
- University of Baltimore School of Law, J.D., 1976.
- University of Maryland, B.S. in Economics, 1972.
- Court of Appeals of Maryland, 1977.
- U.S. District Court, District of Maryland, 1979.
- U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, 1979.
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1981.
- Gubernatorial Appointee, Maryland Commission on Criminal Sentencing Policy,
2003 to 2007; 2007 to 2011.
- Gubernatorial Appointee, Chair, Trial Courts Judicial Nominating Commission
for Commission District One, 2005 to 2014.
- Gubernatorial Appointee, Board of Trustees of the Office of the Public
Defender, 2011 to 2012.
- Attorney Grievance Commission of Maryland, Inquiry Panel, 1981 to 2000.
- Review Board, Attorney Grievance Commission of Maryland, Member, 1991 to
1993, 2000 to 2002 and Chairman, 1993 to 1994.
- Wicomico County, Maryland State and American Bar Associations.
- Maryland Criminal Defense Attorneys Association.
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers.
- Maryland Bar Foundation, fellow.
Civic and Community Memberships
- Wor-Wic Community College Foundation, Inc., Executive Committee, 1998 to
2001, Treasurer 2001 to 2004.
- Member, Dean's Advisory Council of the Perdue School of Business, Salisbury
University, 2008 to 2011.